Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Before ever after: by Samantha Sotto


My reading experience:
Rate: 4 stars
*may contain spoilers!
-each sentences are either shelley's emotion of love or grief
-became teary-eyed at page 18-20 where Shelley say.. "Good.. bye, Max"
-literally curious about the 'before' in ever after
-London, Paris, Spain, Philippines, Austria what's there to hate?
-having to smile in some of the scenes which shows how life leaves a certain joke-and it's not good in making one
-sweet humors of Max
-"You're in luck, luv."
-somehow, the writing style changed in the part where Isabelle's story was told-maybe because it's max's point of view?
----------next day
-sundial scene
-my smiles stretched to both ears because of Max's oneliners
-found myself asking, "is forever really exists?"
-Max's deep mysterious lines, lives, stories, and secret goodbyes
-egg timers, eggs
-Brad's very gay gestures
-i found myself waking up(well, having not much gotten to sleep because of reading and insomnia) at 8 am for the first time, beating my once-a-month-to-wake-up-for-breakfast-record and having to fry eggs again- beating my record of frying eggs in a month. yes.. i'm proud. (laughs)
--------
My goodreads review of Before Ever After:

--------last day:



I'm typing this review with puffy fiery eyes-because of crying. this is a first. i'm really not the type to read and cry over a book. i am expecting teary eyes but weeping is too much for me.


it start with a news in the tv. i was watching a prime time news program and Samantha Sotto's filipino face popped in the screen and her book 'Before Ever After' with the success of being published internationally. I'm so proud and at the same time intrigued about the book and how will i get to touch that beautifully-covered pages. i expected romance. i expected a lot,  mind you. and i think, it doesn't disappoint me. that was months and months ago and i forgot it already because i have to read my nursing book reviewers-mind you, those hand-thick Suddhart, Mosby and Kozier books I really hate. at that time, i'm craving to read a novel and i have to endure it because i have to pass the exam! dammit! (laughs)


I started it with joy, with loving the character Max. I think it was on page 18 to 20, when i got teary-eyed. Back then, i prepared myself on how it might end- which is i'm 80% sure- sad. I continue it having the thoughts of just enjoying Max's stories and the places of Europe. It's on page 100 and few pages after that when i decided to stop because i honestly didn't wanted the story to end. i opened my twitter account and saw that Samantha Sotto twitted about a newspaper which had her picture posted along with other 25 selected people, to be watched out in 2012. i twitted her saying i'm reading her book and asking not to break my heart, and she twitted back to say i don't have to worry. that assurance made me continue it.


The next day, i continue reading the book clinging to her words. I browsed the pages and when I got to read the part when Shelley and Paolo got to the cafe', i started to fight back tears. I fought back unknowingly having to cry again and this time it poured when Shelley smelled that baked eggs again. Shoot! Reading this book was so depressing, you know! To tell you the truth, i haven't even read any of Nicholas Sparks's novels because i don't wanna cry. I watched the movie 'a walk to remember' without knowing it was being adapted from its novel. The second and the last one was the 'The notebook' which i totally slept at and woke up at the part when Noah is with the girl(lol, i don't even know her name-played by Rachel Mcadams, right?)in a small boat.
I totally looked ridiculous and if you are reading this and can't help laughing, please stop reading. lol. From the letters until the epilogue, my emotions was a mess.


Anyways,
stars: 4 stars
fave char: Shelley, Brad
fave scene: so many; the sundial scene, max's oneliners, the proposal
notes: 
*i don't know how to bake but i am really curious what is the secret ingredient in Max's baked eggs..
*oh, Europe, wait for me.. we'll meet together soon.
*i keep guessing until the very end.
*i don't know if i'm gonna purchase Samantha Sotto's next novel again. lol. my emotions are mixed up with this one. it made me laugh because of Brad's gayish answers. It made me love Max's sweet mysterious lines along with his stories. It made me feel Shelley's feelings bigtime, as if i was the one whose husband was dead. It made me want to embrace Dex because of his story with Shiela at the train-the same gesture Shelley did. I hated both Paolo and Max when they were already in the cafe and about the trade they planned. I loved Max again at the end part.
*and the end, it's a happy ending, right?! how am i gonna move on with this. i'm gonna sleep tonight and i'll think of the next book that can top this. yeah right, if i'll be able to.(i might think about the book while staring at the ceiling)
*this is a book i'm gonna recommend to all the singles, couples and elders.


-cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment